Thursday, March 19, 2009

The beginning of the story....

Friends of ours encouraged us to start up a blog to help tell our story and stay connected with our friends and families. So here we go!


I'm guessing every blog must start with a story or a beginning. Ours started in January '09 when I discovered a lump in my breast. I definitely could tell it was different. We began a series of doctors appointments, ultrasounds etc and then on Feb.25 we were told it was indeed breast cancer and not one lump but two. I can't say I was completely shocked, I think I started to 'know' in my heart things were not great. Rich was shocked and overwhelmed all at the same time. He quickly became my biggest support and encourager, always thinking positive. We decided it must only be early and probably stage 1, so we adjusted to this new way of living with cancer and kept moving forward. I had an MRI also that week, and the doctor told us the results on March 4. The cancer was indeed in the lymph nodes (2 he thought) and the disease was multi-focal, hence making it a stage 2ish cancer. This we did not take too well. What did it all mean?


After meeting with an oncologist and surgical oncologist, they decided to start chemotherapy first and then surgery, followed by radiation. We now know we have a long year ahead of us. We also know we could not do this without our awesome friends and family who have showered us with love and support and prayers. We feel lifted up daily.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine and Richard and family, We are thinking
    and praying for you as you go through this
    difficult journey, It was good news to hear
    that your ct scan and bone scan was negative,
    that is such a big relief,God Bless you
    and your family.

    We love you , John, Paula and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thougts & prayers are with you Nadine, Richard & family -we pray for strength & courage to help your family through this difficult time in your life -as once said by a pastor ,God is not always fair but he is good -may you see his blessings in all of this as you so bravely speak of your daily events ..
    love aunt Grace & uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete