Sunday, August 30, 2009

Radiation therapy has officially begun and I think my van will go on autopilot to Kitchener by the time I am all finished 30 treatments! The doctor met with me on the first day and declared I was a good candidate for an additional week of radiation, if my skin health holds up. So that means 6 weeks instead of 5. The good news is that they were able to change my appointments to the mornings- that at least has made me feel better.
The radiation room looks like something out of Star Wars, very high tech. I am on a table lying in the mold that was made for me with machines whirling all around me. The radiation therapists leave the room when the treatment starts and if they don't like how I am lined up they can move the table by remote control. Very freaky to say the least! The treatment does not take long, but the lining things up can take a while.
I have to share something I read in a magazine while I was waiting for my appointment. It was on menopausal symptoms (sorry if this is too much detail...!)- this topic is of interest to me as my body was kicked into chemo induced menopause and I am learning to greatly respect menopausal symptoms. Anyways, this lady identified the 7 menopausal dwarfs:
Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Bloaty, Sleepy, Forgetful and Psycho.
No need to say anymore!

3 comments:

  1. Nadine, you have a chemo-induced sense of comedy... quit your day job!
    I have to clean the sandwich off my screen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine,

    I have for the first time - spent the most blessed/sacred time ever on my computer - reading your blog!
    I was filled with sadness, anger, hope, guilt and faith all at once. (just to name a few)
    Sadness that you and your family have to battle this awful situation.
    Anger that someone as special as you and your family has to go through this pain.
    Hope that the prayers that I and everyone else have been praying will continue to keep your journey a strong one.
    Guilt that I have not tried harder to contact you over the years even though you have always been in my heart and on my mind (but more so since the beginning of the year).
    Faith because of all the wonderful people who are involved in your journey and the love they have for you and your family!
    Nadine - it has been a very long time since we have spoken but that does not mean you have ever stopped being close to my heart!
    I saw your Aunt and she so kindly gave me your number and address.
    I would love to get together!
    Please give my love to your Mom and Dad and brothers!

    Full of prayers for you and your family!
    Elisabeth (Georgetown)
    1alexis@sympatico.ca
    905-873-1968 or 416-779-8080
    Would it be ok to give you a call?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sweaty,
    Did you know that you can buy a moisture proof quiet mattress cover? Not the kind that your kids used when they were littler! This one is perfect for night sweats when you want to wring out your pj's (I know you're fine with too much detail!) Moisture cannot permeate this mattress cover, or so says the salesman at the Guelph Sleep Country. Also, he says if you can get a written prescription from your doc, then the $109 for a Q size will be fully reimbursed by most insurance companies. Just include the packaging when you submit your claim. I once had to throw a mattress out because of night sweats - due to mould! Yuck!
    Blessings and Prayers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete