On the way to the hospital today, Rich and I discussed that today is March 25, exactly one month ago we were given the diagnosis of breast cancer. Since that day, we have had about 13 tests or appointments and I have already had the second chemo treatment. Things have been moving along fairly fast, for which we are grateful. We are also very thankful to our friends and family who have taken our kids for some of these appointments. We feel very blessed to have so many people care for us and show support.
It is incredible how fast the chemo starts to make you feel bad! Even sitting in the chair waiting for it to drip through the IV, I can start to feel nausea, lightheaded and extremely tired. I came home and slept for 2 hours. The nurses are a very caring group of people in the oncology unit that's for sure. They were pleasantly surprised that I still had a full head of hair!
Yesterday I met with the radiation oncologist who will do the radiation in Kitchener, after the surgery. He was very informative, and basically said I need radiation because the cancer is in the lymph system. To what degree, they do not know, but in my case it is like an insurance to make sure the chemo and surgery have gotten all the cancer. It means a longer road, but I am glad for the option. It will also postpone any plastic surgery until 8 months later. But the very good news he told me was that the bone and CT scan came back clear. A huge wave of relief washed over me, I was so happy to hear that. It makes me feel like I can manage this, as it is contained. We rely on our faith, lean on our family and friends, and take one day at a time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Such great news about the bone scan and CT scan!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story, Nadine. We are rejoicing with you and promise to remember you, Rich and family in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteLots of love from Orillia,
~ Doug, Karen and Joshua
That is great news!! Thanks for sharing. This blog will help me to know how to be of support and encouragement to Megan-- who is an incredibly wonderful and amazing kid. It has been a joy to watch her grown and mature over the past 4 years that I have been in her class. You have a beautiful family!! Peace and strength to all of you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lord for the clear bone scan!
ReplyDeleteI WAS NOT looking forward to being tested for a match. Whew.