Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Today was the fourth treatment session, and I am glad it is over! I was able to rest quite a bit this afternoon but I still feel like I'm in quite a fog. This will be the last session with this particular chemo drug and then in 2 weeks we start with a new drug called Taxol. It is apparently less nausea inducing, but does cause some discomfort with numbness and tingles in your hands and feet. And of course the fatigue will still be a factor!

We also met with the doctor today before treatment and she filled us in with the 'receptor' status of the tumour. It is 'triple positive' meaning it is estrogen, progesterone positive and Her2 positive. The Her2 is a growth promoting hormone, which is not so good in cancer. However, they have drug called Herceptin which I will be starting in 2 weeks. This is also an IV drip, but it needs to be weekly. So I will be going to to the hospital every Wednesday starting in two weeks. We also have another appointment with the oncologist next Monday to go over everything again, as the doctor today was the hospitalist (the oncologist comes in from Kitchener and the hospitalist oversees everybody's treatment on a daily basis.) We're a bit overwhelmed with the new info, and I must admit I haven't read up on it all just yet.

A very neat thing that I was able to participate in yesterday was a 'Look Good, Feel Better' program in Kitchener It is designed for women going through chemotherapy and is strives to give you information on taking care of yourself, going over things like skin care, beauty tips etc. I also learned how to draw on eyebrows if the need arises! It was very relaxing and kind of fun and I got a whole box of free products! I thought it was very worthwhile and would strongly recommend it.

Wishing you all a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine,

    Glad to hear you crossed the finish line in this session. The program you went to the other day sounds wonderful. You deserve spa-plus treatment, beautiful lady!

    Take courage, my friend, take courage!

    You are so loved by God, your family and friends.

    Love and many Prayers,
    Susanne and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nadine:

    Congratulations on completing your first set of chemo.

    The look good feel better work shop is fantastic, I myself really enjoyed it and also learned to use some of the things they taught me.

    I pray for your continued strength and courage to complete this journey. The road is not always straight, it has many turns and bumps which hopefully will make you and your family stronger.

    Gentle Hugs and lots of Prayers,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadine,
    Glad to hear your fourth treatment is done. You are doing well girl! I love the pics...and I loved Jocelyn's post on the blog.
    You are always in our thoughts and prayers!
    Suzanne and family

    ReplyDelete