Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It was a very long day in the chemo clinic today. My mom and I got there at about 8:00 this morning and I was home again at 5:00. There was a mix up in the doctor scheduling so there was no doctor until 9 ish and then he had to write and sign all the orders for treatment. So everybody was a bit behind. It is a long day to sit there attached to an IV pole. You really can't even take a walk, just to the bathroom. But I did watch alot of daytime TV! Regis and Kelly, Ellen, Rachael Ray.... we all know the order by now! The last 4 hours of treatment is the chemo and for that I have been having my hands in "cold mitts" or ice packs the nurses provide so that the chemo doesn't go to my hands/finger nails. The idea is that the cold will help keep my nails at bit healthier. It feels good however it is hard to read with your hands tied up and afternoon TV is not that great!
On of the neat things today was that I sat beside a nice lady who is a little older than me, but is going through the same thing. So we had a little 'support session' for a bit, and then she got to go home. But it helped to break up a long day! She knows another breast cancer patient our age who is looking into starting a support group for 'younger patients' in Guelph, which would be great because the closest right now is Cambridge. So that may interesting.


Rich was able to take the day off today and help out at track and field at the school and watch the kids do some of their events. I was so glad he was able to be there for them, they all had a great day. Lots of stories!

I'm feeling a bit more prepared for what the next few days will entail- I did talk to the covering doctor a bit about the side effects and he suggested to take the nerve pain pill everyday through the whole 2 week session. This may make it more effective. He also suggested Percocet for the pain, but I'm now sure I want to do that just yet. It may make me loopy, and I already feel loopy enough!
Hope everyone is having a good day and enjoying spring.

3 comments:

  1. Only two more to go! You can do it. I hope you can rest in the warm sunshine over the next few days. Take care, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine,
    I'm glad you received advice about pain management. I hope the nerve pain pill in a daily dosage does the trick. If not,go ahead, get "loopy"!
    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine, day time TV will make anyone loopy!

    Get an iPod and download some podcasts... all sorts of great Calvinist teaching at sermonaudio.com and oneplace.com.

    I think you can put music on iPods too.

    ReplyDelete